European ethnic oral traditions (audiocassettes)
Items marked * have booklets
Shamrock Rose and Thistle 2–3, folk singing in North Derry, recorded & ed. by Hugh Shields, 1982, 2xC60
These songs can now be heard on line as part of a new ‘mini microsite’ hosted by ITMA: Hugh Shields’s classic 1981 volume Shamrock, Rose & Thistle: Folk Singing in North Derry, with its related sound recordings, photographs, song-text transcriptions, pdf downloads and catalogue records. The site includes Hugh’s original field recordings of 74 songs from the Magilligan area of north Derry, photographs, song-text transcriptions, pdf downloads and catalogue records.
Listen to Eddie Butcher singing David’s Flowery Vale and see the words
- *Adam in paradise, four traditional songs on courtship sung by Eddie Butcher, Magilligan, co. Derry, recorded & ed. by Hugh Shields, 1982, C13. (First released as EP disc by the Ulster Folk Museum in 1969. Re-issued on CD by Ulster Folk and Transport Museum and the Irish Traditional Music Archive to mark the 25th anniversary of Eddie’s death in 2005.
More information Order CD from ITMA
collected and edited by Hugh Shields, with translations into French of the Occitan texts, 1994, C45. Contents and free pdfs of booklet
(8 May 2014) MP3 audio files are now provided for the songs and may be played here.
- *Songs of the Irish travellers, recorded and edited by Tom Munnelly, 1983,C60 (Re-issued on CD, Dublin: Pavee Point, 2007, PPCD004)
- *Ceolta agus seanchas Thir Chonaill, songs and stories of Joe McCafferty (Donegal, Ireland) in English and Irish, with translations into English, recorded & ed. by Hugh Shields, 1984, C90
- *Scéalamhráin Cheilteacha, narrative songs in the Celtic languages (Scots, Irish and Manx Gaelic, Welsh and Breton), ed. Cathal Goan, with translations into Irish, 1985, C80. Details of companion book here
- *Early ballads in Ireland 1968–1985, songs of the international genre in English, ed. Tom Munnelly and Hugh Shields, 1985, C90
Re-issued in 2015 on two CDs by Góilín Singers Club, Dublin ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- *Deutsche Volksballaden —German ballads from oral tradition, ed. Jürgen Dittmar, with translations into English, 1985, C60